What is Health & Safety Management
Health and Safety management is the process of management to minimize or mitigate the risks of accidents, injury and illness at work place. This is made possible by identifying, assessing and controlling risks to workers in all types of work environments.
An occupational health and safety management system encompasses more than mere health and safety programs but includes health and safety policies, systems, standards, and records, and involves incorporating workers’ health and safety activities and programs into all other business processes. Having an effective management system improves the ability to continuously identify hazards and control risks in the workplace. The scope and complexity of a system will vary according to the type of workplace, the nature of work performed and the type of operations carried out.
An effective health and safety management system must have the following core components in place:
- Management leadership and commitment,
- Safe work procedures and written instructions,
- Health and safety training and instructions,
- Identifying hazards and managing risks,
- Inspection of premises, equipment, workplaces & work practices,
- Investigation of incidents,
- Program administration,
- Joint health and safety committees & representatives,
- Occupational health and safety programs,
- System audits.
Scope of Work of Health & Safety Managers
The Health and Safety (H&S) Manager is a competent person to implement and perform the policies of an organization with regard to management of health and safety while ensuring impartial and objective advice consistent with statutory requirements. The scope of health and safety extends across all the fields of work including; chemical, engineering, physical, biological, fire safety, the work environment, and work-related health and human factors.
H&S Managers face responsibilities outlined below but not limited to such but depending on the organizational requirements;
- Provide assurance that an effective H&S management system is implemented across the organization to ensure statutory, legal and policy compliance; meet risk appetite; and minimize accidents and ill-health to employees and third parties.
- Provide H&S advice and problem solving when required.
- Identify, record and escalate where health and safety risk is outside appetite and not being appropriately mitigated.
- Planning for H&S,
- Encouraging a Culture of Health & Safety,
- Encourage the prompt reporting of hazards & risks,
- Raise management and staff awareness of safety accountability & responsibilities,
- Ensuring Workplace Safety,
- Assist in addressing identified actions resultant from Work activities and make audits at sites as required,
- Liaise with relevant authorities in respect to H&S Issues,
- Conduct safety induction programs,
- Maintain accurate records and filing systems in line with Company and project requirements,
- Work Cover administration,
- Compile and analysis of work injury statistics,
- Professional Development and training,
- Keep up-to-date with developments in the H&S field including; Legislation, regulations, guidelines and best practice,
- Plans, manages and leads the development and implementation of H&S policies, strategies, programs and standards across all work functions,
- Recommends strategic directions for all elements of the H&S program,
- Keep staff fully informed of the H&S program and applicable legislative requirements,
- To raise awareness of all stakeholders, managers and employees at a high level on a continuous basis, and be the core responsible, along with his/her team on matters pertaining to occupational safety in the sites,
- Warns contractors verbally and in writing on all matters of occupational safety flaws, short-comings and practice faults observed,
- Ensures that the Occupational Safety Strategy Plan is prepared and shared with all stakeholders,
- Ensures that the field works are carried out in accordance with approved H&S documents,
- Inspects conformity of all operations practiced to current and local Occupational Safety Laws and Specifications.
- Reviews, updates, implements and communicates the Environmental policy,
- Undertakes Environmental project audits on behalf of the company,
- Manages incident reporting and investigations in conjunction with the contractor(s),.
- Carries out independent regular site safety inspections - record observations and suggests improvements,
- Assists with the implementation of H&S policies, procedures, guidance notes and standards,
- Assists with audits for ISO 9001, OHSAS 18001 and ISO 14001; and other applicable standards,
- Assists in the creation and coordination of annual audits and inspection schedules for accounts, undertakes and provides support for operational practices,
- Highlights any risks and suggests mitigating corrective actions.
Courses in Academ-ED have been developed by industry experts who have been selected from a variety of industries thereby enriching the courses with a wide array of course material. The courses cover all what is necessary for the participants to practice the profession in their respective organizations with acquired confidence and at the same levels or above the skills of their matured colleagues. Academ-ED courses have been developed to give participants with advanced knowledge & skills in the selected professions which would make them compete with others who have degree level education in the fields. Courses comprise of an excellent mix of hands-on practice, theory, case studies, assignments and integrated studies in technology and scientific knowledge.
Academ-ED leads the way in providing professional courses which are designed with the current and future needs of various employers and careers while giving you the edge in a demanding and competitive marketplace.
Course participants gain a lifelong knowledge and skills that will help them to keep abreast of developments in the industry, including how to satisfy ever more demanding safety, sustainability and technological criteria.
Academ-ED courses provide practical training for you to acquire a unique combination of professional skills, knowledge in conjunction with the added dimension of protecting the environment and sustainability. Academ-ED programs integrate modular designs with a principal focus on the subject and an ancillary focus on the related fields in general in the related career environment.
The courses usually include;
- Presentations which deliver comprehensive subject content to participants,
- Course work consisting of a vast number of professional tasks which have been selected from the field thereby allowing the participants to acquire industry expertise,
- Course notes which give the participants comprehensive reading material which can be used as a reference all throughout their professional life,
- Case studies allowing the participants to get insight into various practical problems in the field,
- Assignments to let the participants to get first-hand knowledge about the tasks in the field,
- Membership in Academ-ED professional associations delivering numerous benefits for professional upgrading,
- Many other items which are detailed in the course pages.
Upon enrolment into courses in Academ-ED, you will be transferred to our main website, www.academedonline.com for the payment process, which is a fully secured site with "https" encryption and a SSL Certificate, thereby eliminating risks to your payment details.
Academ-ED is a US company which develops and delivers professional courses and training to working adults and job seekers worldwide.
The main objective of Academ-ED is to deliver courses and training to needy individuals around the globe by avoiding various barriers which otherwise make it impossible for them to receive quality professional training thereby making them to acquire knowledge and skills required to perform well in their chosen carriers.
While Academ-ED endeavours to provide the best available online courses in various professional subjects, it maintains modest pricing levels for courses with several payment options.
Academ-ED as a socio-ethical organization
Academ-ED gives high priority for social welfare and professional ethics. It considers the professional training needs of the working population of the world and regularly implements methods to provide the best at affordable prices.
While it maintains high quality content in its courses / programs, it tries to maintain the prices at marginal levels compared to other similar courses available online.
Academ-ED provides course promotions at substantial discounts from time to time for each category of courses thereby facilitating those who have financial difficulties.
Such promotions last for 4 to 6 months for allowing sufficient time for the participants to enrol and enjoy the benefits.
Potential course participants for interested course categories may watch the "Academ-ED News" in the home page for upcoming promotions.